Beauty Queen’s Lucky 13 Candidates in the Ms. Earth Philippines 2009
MAY 10, 2009 UPDATE: See Kattera’s Top 10 Choices here!!!
MAY 9, 2009 UPDATE: See the Ms. Earth picks of the Beauty Expert writers from the Philippine Star. Just click here.
What a whirlwind week of beauty pageants and bikini contests! Now it’s time to focus on Ms. Earth Philippines 2009. This is going to be a difficult pageant to judge with 50 candidates from different parts of the nation. It took me quite a while to choose my TOP 13 Contestants but thanks to photos from the following sites, I have been able to select my best girls.
1) AKLAN – Michelle Martha Braun is 18 years old, 5″7″ tall and loves tae-kwon-do and dancing. She’s been in several pageants before, placing 1st runner-up in a national inter-school beauty search, winning the Miss IT New Washington in 2005 and becaming the first ever Binibining Aklan in January this year.
In this official Ms. Earth Philippines photo, Michele reminds me of one of my favorite rock singers, Acel Bisa Van Ommen who sang “Gulo, Hilo, Lito” from MY GIRL Soundtrack.
2) BATANGAS – Jennelyn Bagsit is in my Lucky 13 because she’s the tallest one in this year’s batch (I believe this to be true based on all the photos I’ve seen although I have not found any information on her height). And aside from being tall, she REALLY knows how to stand proud as a queen. Just look at how she holds her shoulders in the photo! And her smile is clean and confident. This 20 year old Tourism student should do well in this beauty pageant.
3) LAS PINAS – Elizabeth Naluz is an 18 year old Electronics and Communications student. This 5″8″ collection of curves loves hanging out with her friends and plays the violin.
In 2008 she joined the Mr. and Ms. Philippine Youth, a search for young ambassadors of the Philippines and she won Miss Friendship. Below is her official photo from that contest:
4) FIL-CANADA – Tessa Kruger is a 22-year old McMaster University student originally from Mississauga, Ontario. She is working toward a degree in Life Sciences and hopes to pursue a medical career.
The photo on the left is Tessa’s winning gown presentation in the pre-pageant Long Gown Event of Miss Earth Philippines. Her designer is the talented Bobby Ackbarali who has worked in the internationa fashion and pageant industry for over 30 years.
5) FIL – SYDNEY – Catherine Loyola is a 22-year old Social Work grad from the University of Sydney in Australia and is the first Fil-Aussie to represent the Pinoy community in the Land Down Under.
Catherine is an early winner in this year’s Miss Earth Philippines after she was chosen Miss Magnolia Ice Cream during the pre-pageant Swimsuit Competition.
6) MANILA – Alexis Go is a 22 year old dentistry student who already has a career in the entertainment world – She is the winner of the 2008 Miss Chinese Philippines Pageant and is a University of the East Courtside Reporter. Click here to watch one of her reports.
Alexis is also a model for Crissa jeans and stars in a TV show called Lili, Lulu and Lala. As I said, she already has a great career going for her. If you want to be a fan, just sign up here on her Facebook Fan page.
7) PAGSANJAN – In some of her photos, Alexandra Santos looks like a softer version of TV personality and model Toni Gonzaga. At least that’s what I see… Alex is a 5’6″ Tourism Student who has 2 pageant titles under her hat – The Binibining Pagsanjan 2008 and the Binibining Anilag (Laguna) 2009. Let’s see if she brings home a third title in the Miss Earth Philippines pageant on May 10, 2009.
8 ) NEGROS OCCIDENTAL – All eyes are on Sandra Seifert who was disqualified from this year’s Bb. Pilipinas pageant just days before coronation night after pageant officials belatedly found out about some racy photos of her, published in FHM Magazine. Ms. Earth officials are very aware of the photos and haven’t blinked at all. She is obviously a favorite, winning many of the Miss Earth pre-pageant awards like Best in Swimsuit, Gandang Ricky Reyes Award and Best in Cultural Attire. If she doesn’t win one of the top awards, I will wait for the nightly magbabalut and eat my first ever aborted baby duck.
9) PASAY – Hands down, Karryl An Lopez (I feel like there’s a missing letter here somewhere…) is the DARLING of this batch. She is flat out cute; not a quality that most beauty queens possess although there ARE exceptions. But don’t let her cute-ness fool you; she is a bio-chemistry graduate and can kill you with a chemical equation in 3 seconds flat.
Karryl is also another early favorite in the Miss Earth Philippines Beauty Pageant winning the Miss Golden Sunset Award during the swimsuit competition. She is not a stranger to competition – she won Rexona’s One Million Peso Model search in 2005 and right after wrapping up that contract, she went on to be one of the winners in the Rusty Lopez Fabulous 8 Image Search.
10) QUEZON CITY – It’s the eyes that sold me out on Patricia Marie Tumulak. This long-haired hopeful is 21 years old and a graduate of Child Development and Education. The photo below is taken from the Miss Teen Philippines 2006 Beauty Pageant. Unfortunately, she walked home without any of the major titles or runner-up awards. Will she be vindicated this time around on the coronation night of Ms. Earth Philippines this Sunday?
11) SANTA ROSA – Carl Crystle de los Reyes has a very interesting face – almost catlike but not quite. Her double chin is charming but only when she doesn’t smile too much. I can’t quite decide if she’s beautiful or exotic but either way she is ATTRACTIVE.
I also discovered that Crystle is a runner-up in an International Pageant according to this Philippine Star article. She is 19 years old and taking up Tourism.
12) SORSOGON – All you need to do is take one look at this photo to know why Kathleen Jebulan is in my Lucky 13.
This 23-year old stunner is a beauty pageant junkie who has won three titles including Miss University of the East 2006, Miss Kasangayahan 2005 and Miss AMA 2005.
13) VICTORIAS – I did not choose Adie Adelantar (Adie is short for Grezilda) because of the cute doggie in the picture but because she reminds me so much of my friend Maricar Mendoza, Bb. Pilipinas Universe 1981.
Adie is a Binibining Pilipinas survivor herself. She joined the beauty pageant in 2007 and although she was a favorite among bloggers, she did not make it even into the semi-finals. But that was then and NOW is NOW. I reckon, she’s going to kick some beauty butt this time around.